The 7 Emirates
The country United Arab Emirates (UAE) consists of 7 emirates: Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, Ra’s al-Chaima, Ajman, Fujairah, Umm al-Qaiwain.
The two most important emirates are Abu Dhabi with the capital of the country UAE Abu Dhabi City and the emirate Dubai. Most tourists come to Dubai and make day trips to Abu Dhabi and other emirates. All 7 emirates have a coast by the sea. All except Fundschaira are located at the Persian Gulf, Fundschaira has only one coast with beautiful beaches at the Gulf of Oman.
Population: In total, the United Arab Emirates have about 4.2 million inhabitants. Abu Dhabi (about 1.4 million inhabitants) and Dubai (population about 1.3 million) also dominate here. About 90 % of the inhabitants are foreigners, about half of them from India. Other important countries of origin are: Egypt, Bangladesh, Pakistan and the Philippines. There are also about 100,000 people from western countries living in the UAE, almost 10,000 of whom are from Germany.
Size: The state of UAE has an area of 77,700 square kilometres and is thus about the size of Bavaria. Abu Dhabi accounts for 67,000 km², all other 6 emirates have a total area of only 10,000 km². Dubai has about 3900 km² and is therefore the second largest emirate, although it is about 17 times smaller than Abu Dhabi. Large parts of the country are uninhabited deserts, only about 1 percent of the country UAE is populated.
Neighbouring countries: The UAE has 2 neighbouring countries, Saudi Arabia and Oman.
Language UAE: Arabic, many street signs etc. are however bilingual Arabic and English. Many people speak Arabic and English.
Economy: The United Arab Emirates have a significantly higher per capita income than Germany. The country thrives primarily on oil exports, but also increasingly on trade and tourism. There is full employment.
Airports: There are about 9 airports, Dubai Airport is the third largest in the world. Etihad Airways and Emirates are the two domestic airlines.
Rail transport: A national rail network linking all 7 Emirates is under construction. In Dubai there is a metro (2 lines) and since some years also a tram.
Streets: The network of trunk roads is now well developed, and there are also many motorways and expressways. Especially around Dubai City there are a lot of traffic jams, although some of the important roads there have more than 10 lanes.
Important tip: buy tickets for Dubai beforehand
Some tickets for Dubai should be bought in advance. Some tickets are only available in limited numbers (often sold out), other sights require a long wait without a ticket. You can also book great trips to the desert and other emirates on the Internet. We recommend the following tickets:
– Take the lift to the highest house in the world (Burj Khalifa): More information and booking
– Excursion in the desert, a must for every visitor to Dubai: More information and booking
– Great city tour Dubai (duration 4 hours): More information and booking
– Excursion from Dubai to Abu Dhabi: More information and booking
More great sights in Dubai
Also for other attractions and tours in Dubai you should buy tickets in advance on the Internet. It is difficult to find the right agency on the spot, often there are long queues or the tours are sold out.
1. Water Park Wild Wadi: Directly in Dubai, not far from the best hotel in the world, the Burj al Arab. One of the best water parks in the world. There are far more than swimming pools and slides, a total of more than 30 major attractions such as rides. You have to see the Waterpark Wild Wadi! >>> More info and booking
2. Aquaventure Waterpark: Not far from Wild Wadi Waterpark on the gigantic artificial island of Palm. One of the largest water parks in the world. Many rides, other attractions, gigantic slides, beach and animals like sharks. The Aquaventure Water Park is a must to visit when travelling to Dubai. >>> More info and booking
3. City tour Dubai: From our point of view the best city tour in Dubai. With hotel pick-up, all important sights of Dubai. Daily mornings and afternoons. >>> More info and booking
4. Boat tour Dubai: A great boat tour with sights of Dubai like Palm Jumeirah, Hotel Burj Al Arab and Marina Dubai. >>> More info and booking
Population Dubai: 1.3 million, almost all live in the capital Dubai City.
Size Dubai: 3885 km², so Dubai is slightly bigger than Saarland or 4 times as big as Berlin.
Language: Official language is Arabic, English is understood by many inhabitants.