Dubai International Airport is one of the largest airports in the world. According to some statistics, it is the third largest airport in the world with almost 90 million passengers per year. Only the airports in Atlanta and Beijing have more passengers (as of 2018). Nevertheless, Dubai is currently building an even larger airport, the World Central Airport Dubai. The new airport has already opened, but only a few flights. This article is about the old airport, the Dubai International north of the city. The brand new airport is south of Dubai City.
Dubai International Airport is also one of the world’s top 10 airports in terms of freight volumes. According to statistics, 2.8 million tons of freight are handled here every year. This would be number 5 in the world. Dubai Airport is also the world’s largest duty-free shop.
The major airline at Dubai International Airport is Emirates. The other major airline of the United Arab Emirates Etihad Airways uses more Abu Dhabi Airport. Emirates is one of the largest airlines in the world. Emirates is known for the many A380 aircraft in its fleet. So far (autumn 2018), Emirates has 105 A380 widebody aircraft in service. The company’s home airport is Dubai International Airport.
Over 100 airlines now fly to Dubai International Airport. You can fly directly to 150 destinations around the world from Dubai. There are over 1000 flights per day (total flight movements with freight flights). There are two runways at Dubai International Airport.
Metro Dubai to Dubai International Airport
The Dubai metro stops twice at the airport, at Terminal 1 and Terminal 3. The metro goes directly to the city centre (Red Line). After 4 stations you can change to the other metro (Green Line) at the underground station “Union”.
The new city centre (Downtown) can be reached directly with the red line (highest building of the world Burj Khalifa, biggest shopping centre of the world Dubai Mall, biggest aquarium of the world, biggest fountain of the world and much more). The fares of the Metro Dubai are cheap, departures are frequent (every 4 to 7 minutes) from about 5:30 to 24 o’clock, Friday from 10 o’clock in the morning.
Cool Safari Tours Dubai
1st Al Khayma Camp: Camel Safari, Red Dunes and BBQ; More info and booking
2nd Al Khayma Camp: Quad Bike Riding, Sand Surfing, Camel Riding and BBQ: More info and booking
3. 4X4 jeep driving on dunes, 30 min quad biking, camel riding, shows, dinner: More info and booking
Just a stopover in Dubai?
Not all passengers get off in Dubai. Many Asian tourists only make a stopover in Dubai. Some also stay a few hours or days and look at Dubai during a stopover. You can also book a short trip (a few hours) to Dubai on a stop-over. There is a good offer on this website.
Important tip: buy tickets for Dubai beforehand
Some tickets for Dubai should be bought in advance. Some tickets are only available in limited numbers (often sold out), other sights require a long wait without a ticket. You can also book great trips to the desert and other emirates on the Internet. We recommend the following tickets:
– Take the lift to the highest house in the world (Burj Khalifa): More information and booking
– Excursion in the desert, a must for every visitor to Dubai: More information and booking
– Great city tour Dubai (duration 4 hours): More information and booking
– Excursion to Abu Dhabi: More information and booking
More great sights in Dubai
You should also buy tickets for other attractions and tours in Dubai online in advance. It is difficult to find the right agency on site, there are often long queues or the tours are sold out.
1. Water Park Wild Wadi: Directly in Dubai, not far from the best hotel in the world, the Burj al Arab. One of the best water parks in the world. There are far more than swimming pools and slides, a total of more than 30 major attractions such as rides. You have to see the Waterpark Wild Wadi! >>> More info and booking
2. Aquaventure Waterpark: Not far from Wild Wadi Waterpark on the gigantic artificial island of Palm. One of the largest water parks in the world. Many rides, other attractions, gigantic slides, beach and animals like sharks. The Aquaventure Water Park is a must to visit when travelling to Dubai. >>> More info and booking
3. City tour Dubai: From our point of view the best city tour in Dubai. With hotel pick-up, all important sights of Dubai. Daily mornings and afternoons. >>> More info and booking
4. Boat tour Dubai: A great boat tour with sights of Dubai like Palm Jumeirah, Hotel Burj Al Arab and Marina Dubai. >>> More info and booking